(Compiled by our collective memories)
February 19, 2008
The Early Years
WMTH started as an idea during the 1950's and was presented to the Student Council in 1957. Educational radio stations were being licensed on the FM radio band with typically 10 watts of power. One of the people instrumental to the creation of WMTH was the chief engineer, the late Mr. Theron Whitfield, the electronics teacher at Maine East.
WMTH-FM Station Managers
Radio station WMTH-FM signed on during December, 1959. The first student voice was a senior student, class of 1960, named Harry Ford. Harry went on to become a Hollywood actor. Perhaps your recognize the name Harrison Ford.
The call letters were chosen "MTH" as in Maine Township High school. The antenna would be located on the highest point of the school building at Dempster and Potter Roads in Park Ridge. The studio from 1959 through 1970 was located in room 147B, across the hall from the auditorium. When the center courtyard building opened in the fall of 1970, the radio station relocated and the first television studio was built.
The original power of the station was 16 watts E.R.P. at a frequency of 88.5MHz. This continued from 1960 until 1983 when the frequency was changed to 90.5MHz and the power reduced to 8.9 watts.
" To Be Continued "